Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Discipline

First we think of a response to a negative behavior, usually used by parent to child or in a school setting. I never imagined discipline as having a positive vibe...it just sounds harsh. Sunday, I was enlightened that discpline of our children is not supposed to be simply a punishment to fit a crime (time out for not sharing comes to mind). Discipline is what parents are supposed to demonstrate through their actions; more an example.

We should be disciplined in our response to slow drivers in the morning rush...I often say silly things like "you idiot". We should be disciplined in our reaction to something someone has said or done that makes our blood boil (I can think of too many examples). I must say we were blessed to have parents that have set an example, through discipline, and I am just now seeing this. As I sat in the Sunday morning service with our sweet tempered, mild mannered children I suppose the message was meant for me. As they each asked for another book and whined when the other wouldn't share...I simply smiled and showed with the greatest amount of discipline I could collect from the tips of my toes...sit quietly and hope everyone else is too involved in the message to notice.

Love your children and show great discipline (I am trying to keep my road rage to a minimum)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Graphic Design by Polka Dot Dandy