Thursday, August 13, 2009

Remember When

As we reflect on the changes our Nation is moving through, I think about the "good ol' days". Then I realize they are, to me, the good ol' days because I did not live through them or was too young to recongnize any fear or apprehension.

This week, well beginning more specifically on August 15th, a huge portion of our population will remember Woodstock 1969. Okay, I have absolutely no idea what really took place on this celebratory week of peace, love and rock and roll. I do know that these seemed like more simple and relaxed times to me. Although, I know this was a time of great turmoil during our Nation's history as people were coming to terms with huge changes in the status quo.

I also remember the early 1980's with fond recollection as the "big hair" days when Madonna was forbidden, but awesome all the same and when family vacations were spontaneous long distance road trips to out-run the rain at home. These were the best of times for me and I treasure those memories. However, my parent's remind me that businesses were failing in record numbers and interest rates were ridiculously high. The oil boom busted causing great discourse in many southern states for certain.

I do not remember Woodstock because I was not born, I do not remember the 1980's being a trying time as I was sheltered with wonderful parents and only fond memories. So, during this trying time we should know that "this too shall pass" and hopefully our children will not remember any of what we stress over. I have distinct political views and personal convictions concerning the direction our Nation should not head more so than where it should. I will take comfort in knowing there have been times when people did not think they would make it through and they have triumphed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Graphic Design by Polka Dot Dandy